Monday, February 1, 2016

letter from Sister Shumway - Feb. 1, 2016

This week my email might be a bit short, mostly because there's not a whole lot to say. As far as the work, we have a few set appointments coming up this week, but last week was really slow. On Monday Jennifer canceled our appointment and we've been calling her several times a day since and can't get a hold of her, so if she's getting baptized we will have to reset the date, though we are hardly thinking of that now since we can't get in contact with her.
Walking most places has actually been fun, we've got a few rides to things that were further away but we've enjoyed walking more than I thought we would. But because Sister Orgill wants all sisters in cars, we will get another tomorrow.
On Saturday we had no dinner signed up and we were a little worried because it was the end of the month and both of us were really short on funds this time, we also didn't have much food at the apartment at all. But we planned another normal day, and throughout the day almost everyone we saw sent us away with something - we picked kumquats from one person's tree, another gave us a bag of snacks, another had us help her carry in her groceries and gave us some that she had gotten for us while thinking of us at the store. Also a part-member family, the Novillos, had us over for lunch, and that was a lot of fun. Brother Novillo is not a member, and he was giving us good advice about what to look for when considering who to marry. That lunch was sooooo good, they really went all out to treat us. By the end of the day I was really really full, more than I would've been on a regular day. Oh and by the way, the Novillos have 2 adopted kids - one turns 16 on April 28th, the other turns 16 on May 3rd. That was a fun conversation.
We have one potential investigator I'm excited about, just met him tracting. His name is Rod, he's from South Africa and when we asked if we could share a message with him he asked us to come back when his wife and daughter are home, so we are doing that tonight.

Other than all that, one of the best things that happened is when I got to call Dad and Mom. I initially didn't want to because I wasn't hurt at all and I honestly didn't want to be distracted, I knew that as much as I really did want to talk to you I was afraid it would take time to refocus and avoid feelings of homesickness. Turns out though, it was so much more uplifting and energizing spiritually. I have really thought of all of you individually a lot this week. I think the only thing that was hard after though was that I wanted to call again the next day, but don't worry I won't get in another car accident just so I can call you haha.

With the little time and space I have left, just know I have a testimony. Each day I remember that and how grateful I am for my testimony of what is true.
:)

Ponderizing scripture - 1 Nephi 21:16 "Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me."

Love you all so so much,
- Sister Shumway


No comments:

Post a Comment