Monday, April 4, 2016

letter from Sister Shumway - April 4, 2016

GUESS WHAT LANDON! I'm so glad you asked that because I've found almost 30 names in the last week from our family for ordinances (not all are guys, and some are already baptized/confirmed, but I will get more Wednesday and send them to you. When do you need them by?). We get to do family history for an hour a week and it's one of my favorite things!!

I was wondering when I was going to hear about another project, when I first came out here I was also wondering how different the house was going to look when I got back. Sounds fun.

Aubrey everyone has already told you this (and your date had better have told you this too) but you're drop-dead gorgeous. No surprise.

Tyler, you just made my day, I'm going to remember all week that I am superb:)

Isaiah 2:3 (also found in 2 Nephi 12) "And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem."
(AND that was quoted in conference. Coincidence? I think not! :D )

Sister Loveridge is amazing. She is from Mountain Green, Utah. She graduated cosmetology school at the same time as high school so she is GREAT with hair. She has an older brother that got home from a mission last summer and 2 younger brothers. She's enthusiastic about the work and so good at trying to improve in all she can. She also loves to cook and has shown me some good ideas from exercise in the morning. Oh and one of my favorite things she has introduced to me is zucchini noodles. They are magical and so yummy. I love Sister Phinney, but I think Sister Loveridge is my favorite companion so far. And we become closer friends every day.

General Conference. Wow. I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!! I always do. If I had to pick one talk I honestly would choose Elder Renlund's (though I still have to go back on priesthood session), so it surprised me when Dad pointed out that talk in his email this week! I can't wait to reread that one. That and Elder Oaks's talk on opposition, both had some neat principles I hadn't considered before.

Last night was the music devotional, and another success. They get better each month. I also met an Ashley Shumway who was visiting from Phoenix, AZ. I asked if Charles Shumway was her ancestor, then realized how weird the question was when I asked her which wife she was from. But she's from the last one, I told her I came through the first. So without even getting onto familysearch we found our common ancestor! Random and cool thing that happened.

The Work -

Tuesday we talked to 70 people.

Jennifer has a baptism date, and she came to the music devotional last night so we talked about the ultimate goal of going to the temple and the blessings that come. And also that baptism is not the end, but just the start.

Debbie (potential from a while ago, introduced to family history) asked us to come back this week so we are going to try teaching her tomorrow.

April is still April, but we have a plan to have her coming to church more regularly! We also set up general conference for her and she wants to listen to it while she works out.

Brittney is coming to the Saints Unified Voices devotional with Gladys Knight, don't know if I mentioned this event happening but in a couple weeks she's coming to share gospel music and her testimony as a convert to the church. Maybe this will be a turning point for Brittney to have a desire again to learn more of the gospel and this church!

Picked up 3 new investigators this week. Yeah, 3! Sister Loveridge and I are celebrating by getting ice cream tomorrow (that was our goal as a companionship for the week, and our reward. And it's half price on Tuesdays.). A recent convert of just a few years, Jimie, has these roommates that listened to the first discussion and each took a copy of the Book of Mormon. They invited us back next week, each are at different stages of interest and having been prepared but each were alive in the discussion. And the Spirit was there, so I know it was a success. They've all had extreme challenges because this apartment is transitional housing for women who qualify, so it has opened the doors to them opening their hearts at least a little to the gospel.

Last night, last 10 minutes of the entire week before submitting numbers and planning for p-day, we stopped at a parking lot to finish the day by talking to people. We just so happened to run into Robert, who had come to the church building Saturday after the Elders found him on the street and told him about general conference. He told us he found it very interesting and that he admired how the Church was so centered on family. We gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon and some contact information, and hopefully we'll be able to prepare him to be taught (most likely by the Elders though). Definitely a result of answered prayers and an act of faith when we only had minutes left! Especially on a day originally filled with meetings. Definitely slept well last night.

Hope all this made sense, kind of all over the place cause it was such a good week and we're looking forward to a better one. Love you all!


- Sister Shumway

No comments:

Post a Comment