Monday, May 2, 2016

letter from Sister Shumway - May 2, 2016

Luke 17:5 for this week "And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith."

It's been kind of a tough week as far as the work, but an awesome week as far as mission life, haha.
Tuesday we got to go to the temple for a session and initiatories! Every time we get close to a temple trip I feel like it's been way too long since I've been.
That night though, the Nixons had us over for dinner (non-members, son is on a mission). Me, my companion Sister Loveridge, Sister Phinney, and her companion Sister Wood were all there. We had an awesome night! And shared things from the Bible, especially about Jesus Christ and God's love for us. We are hoping to get them more included in the ward so they start to have a desire to join. They want to have us over again sometime!

Saturday we had this huge service project and packaged 100,000 meals (each meal feeds 6 people) in about 5 hours to send to students in 3rd-world countries who are struggling for provisions. It was a lot of fun (especially since we were required to be there where they were playing some pretty good music haha:). Brother Novillo (only non-member of his family) was there! And a bunch of others. Love these opportunities.

Janette (non-member) is progressing. :D She reads the Book of Mormon everyday, and we meet with her at least weekly. She's the kind of investigator I've been waiting to teach basically my entire mission.

Speaking of investigators, picked up a new one, Netta this week. She answered the door, we asked if we could share a message about Christ and the restored gospel and she said sure. We weren't sure what to do at first. But then we shared a message about Christ and the restored gospel. She took a copy of the Book of Mormon and said we could come back this week.

We have 4 other potentials from tracting we're going to try and get the work rolling in this ward!

The Novillo family had us over on Thursday for dessert, and it was so much fun! They made me feel so special. Sister Novillo made 2 cheesecakes, one for her daughter (who turned 16 the same day) and one for me, they took pictures and sang and we had so much fun! They also gave me some caramel popcorn because my companion let it slip that I love popcoren a little too much :) Speaking of which, the package you sent was so much fun I loved it!! The popcorn and snacks were so good and I shared them with friends, and it made me so happy as I was pulling out some things and had to explain them to my companion. We laughed a lot and had a blast opening it! The mission office called and sang to me and so did the district in district meeting the day before, and one of the family history consultants that we're good friends with took us to a Chinese buffet for lunch to celebrate. It was SO GOOD. We had all different styles of sushi, shrimp, vegetables, rice, chicken, and crab. I was so full haha. My companion and I got a roast and cooked it in a crockpot because we both remember it from home, so random but that was part of the fun. Sister Harrison (best member ever) got me this sweet candle and I got so many texts and cards and notes. It seriously would've been impossible to keep my birthday a secret here and I felt so very loved. :)

The day before my birthday, President Orgill called me in for an interview. He asked if I would accept the assignment to be a Sister Training Leader, which I did accept. I'm a little nervous just because I don't know what all goes into being a STL but I'm going to do my very best. President Orgill and I had a few minutes to talk which was AWESOME, it always is, and he gave me a priesthood blessing since I realized it's been a long time since I've had one (not for any particular reason, it wasn't a setting apart I just felt to ask for it).
Also with the new transfer, Sister Loveridge and I are staying together in these same 2 wards again (Aliso Viejo and Wood Canyon) but we are being joined by another sister in a trio companionship, Sister Clements. I'm a little overwhelmed with all there is to do and everything that plays into the new companionship and assignment especially on top of my music assignments for the mission, but The Lord will provide a way and I'm going to work hard.

Can't wait to talk to you Sunday! :D Love you so so so so so much,


- Sister Shumway

No comments:

Post a Comment