Monday, June 6, 2016

letter from Sister Shumway - June 6, 2016

THANKYOU for helping me feel so good every time I open your email.

First: "Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full." - John 16:24

This week I've kind of had to almost look for things to talk about in this week's email. That sounds so depressing, it really wasn't that bad, just a lot of big things that took up so much time there's only few things that happened. So as far as the work goes -

We had a lesson with Janette, Jake, and all their kids on Thursday night. They had us and the Elders in their area over for dinner, then we taught the last missionary discussion they need to be baptized by finishing the commandments lesson. It went really well! All of them were attentive and interactive in the lesson, and we were able to help them understand so they were comfortable and confident in committing to living the word of wisdom and law of tithing specifically, along with all other commandments we've talked about. The kind of sad part is that we officially passed them to the Elders to continue working with them so we won't be teaching them anymore, but we are keeping in contact and staying posted on a baptism date this summer hopefully!!

We also picked up a new investigator while tracting. His name is Steve, and when we knocked on the door he answered and right off the bat started asking us questions that lead directly to the message of the Restoration of the gospel. He said he was a Messianic Jew, which is basically a Jew that believes in Jesus Christ as the Son of God instead of just a prophet. He took a Book of Mormon and said we could come back, and HE asked if he could pray for us before we left. It was a very very heartfelt prayer. He also has Leukemia which makes a lot of things difficult for him but he said afternoons are best to stop by.

Wednesday was interesting. Our last appointment of the night was at a recent convert's house, and the lesson and visit went really well, except that apparently I'm very allergic to her new cat. I didn't realize what was happening at first, but I thought I just had an eyelash in my eye. And it wasn't 'til my face had swelled quite a bit, my eyes turned red, and I was sneezing with a runny nose that it clicked why that was happening. We had to cut the visit short and go back to the apartment so I could recover. I may or may not be getting tested at some point... but that was pretty miserable. Thankfully my throat didn't close up or anything extreme like that.

On top of that, Friday we were in the emergency room most of the day. Don't worry, I'm fine and it wasn't for me. But Sister Clements was having a hard time walking in a straight line and had a migraine. We thought it was pretty normal because she does get migraines regularly, but  it got to the point that we were so worried about her we called the nurse, described the symptoms, and she told us to go to an urgent care, preferably the one she had been to when this happened last November. Turns out, we spent over 2 hours driving around looking for it and giving up and driving to find a different one that wasn't closed down and didn't have a 4-hour wait (so much for being called urgent care). When we finally did find one, they referred us to the emergency room where they took some tests. Turns out, they simply re-prescribed her medication that she was supposed to be taking regularly since November that Sister Loveridge and I had no idea about. And spent the rest of the night at the apartment for Sister Clements to recover. So it's been exciting this week.

Something I wanted to share with you since I don't have much to report on the week was this poem:

Perspective

Today was the absolute worst day ever
And don't try to convince me that
There's something good in everyday
Because, when you take a closer look
This world is a pretty evil place
Even if
Some goodness does shine through once in a while
Satisfaction and happiness don't last
And it's not true that
It's all in the mind and heart
Because
True happiness can be obtained
Only if one's surroundings are good
It's not true that good exists
I'm sure you can agree that
The reality
Creates
My attitude
It's all beyond my control
And you'll never in a million years hear me say that
Today was a good day

*But if you read it backwards (last line first, first line last) see what happens. :)

Another thing that has been a really neat experience is one of the counselors in the mission presidency gave a training and challenged us to start a personal Doctrine and Covenants. So what I did was I got a cheap smallish journal and when I have a question for Heavenly Father I right it at the top of one of the pages. Then as the days go by, when I have an impression or someone says something or something happens or I think of something that could be an answer to that question, or something to do with it, etc., I record it in the journal on the page under the question. If I have another question before answering the last one I just write it at the top of the next page. It is SO COOL. Some answers I've found in the emails you send to me. Some come from my companions, or when I teach a lesson, or just pondering. I could go on about specifics and neat experiences but I at least wanted to share this with you thus far. I haven't gotten far in it, just a few pages, and I have more questions than answers (sometimes my answers are another question...) but I love it. So much.

Have a fantastic first week of summer! Love you!


- Sister Shumway

No comments:

Post a Comment