Monday, July 18, 2016

letter from Alyssa - July 18, 2016

"For in that day, for my sake shall the Father work a work, which shall be great and marvelous work among them;" - 3 Nephi 21:9


Another busy week! I can't believe all these things I wrote down happened all just this week. I had an interview with President this week, just a quick get-to-know-you. They are fantastic. It was kind of the same for every missionary this time, but I'm just as confident in him as I was in President Orgill.


We also had Sister's District meeting, a meeting to organize the upcoming music devotionals, district breakfast, district leadership council, zone training meeting preparation, and yeah I guess that's it but it was good. We got a lot done and all the missionaries in this zone are so on top of it. I think I had more to say about a few of those meetings, but they are just meetings so I don't remember anything significant to mention here... 


My ankle is finally doing better! This morning I went to the apartment gym and used the elliptical instead of the treadmill and I'm doing great. Feels so much better to do that in the morning. I don't know if I can run yet because it's still a little bothersome, but no longer painful. We went to the physical therapist again so I think that's helping.


Sister Wimmer also went to get new glasses at the optometrist. I really liked the place we went because (as a missionary I probably shouldn't be saying this) their music station they had playing was awesome. I don't remember any of the songs in particular but Sister Wimmer and I both had a little fun listening while trying on glasses. AND you really know your companion when you can choose her glasses for her, I found a pair she really liked and ended up getting after spending some time browsing.


We were able to get in with the Fischingers, they're less active but they could totally come back to church soon. They just don't have many friends (because they don't come, easy fix) but they want us to come back and bake stuff and visit more so that'll be good.


The Childress family (semi-active, the husband isn't active at all though) had us over for dinner. We were a little disappointed that he was working but we had a great time with her and her daughters. Definitely established a good connection and had a great time.


The Keene family is doing alright (mom and 2 sons not members, husband was less active before he passed away a few years ago), their dog just died unexpectedly this week and they'll be out of town this weekend, but they've been having a lot of members over for dinner lately and it's going really well. So we are planning on inviting them to take the lessons again soon.


Sydney loved girl's camp! She bore her testimony there and her mom is getting closer to allowing her to be baptized. They have us on the dinner calendar this week!


The Olzaks also have us for dinner tonight. Using dinner appointments works so well. It's kind of a weird family set up: non-member father, less-active mother, active 16-year-old daughter, and a 3-year-old. We are planning on sharing a message about Jesus Christ tonight and getting to know them better, especially to help the 16-year-old get involved with the young women in our ward (she still goes to a ward in another stake since that's where she was baptized). I think helping her transition here will help her mom return to activity and her dad take the lessons sometime.


So much work to do, it's awesome. More this week! And then transfer calls this weekend, we're anticipating little change especially with our companionship but we'll find out.


Love you :) Miss you :)


- Sister Shumway

P.S. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment