Monday, July 25, 2016

letter from Sister Shumway - July 25, 2016

The scripture this week has been on my mind probably my entire mission and is one of my favorites "And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternaland this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41


Landon - before I forget, when you go to Osorno (and probably you too, Ty) be SO CAREFUL with heaters. It even specifically mentions safety with them in the handbook. But I've heard some things from people who served near there or know people etc.


On that note, Landon and Ty, THANK YOU for your email and letters this week!! It has been the highlight by far for me and I wish I could tell you how much that means to me! I'm printing your email so I can read it again. :)
Another highlight - The package was awesome!!! Why am I so loved? I have the souvenir hanging with the family photo and the part from "In Times of Trouble" was amazing! I have read it a few times and have it with my study stuff at all time, not only in times of trouble.


Transfers this week - nothing's changing for us :) Sister Wimmer and I are staying together for another 6 weeks in the same ward. Yay!


The work -


We had dinner with the Olzak family this week. Stacy, the mom, is less-active and hasn't been to church since she was 17. Her husband is not a member, and her daughter, Paige, got baptized 2 years ago (she's 16). They just moved in to our ward and haven't been to church because they don't know anybody (easy solution to that problem...). Dinner was awesome! Paige wanted to come yesterday but got sick. She's coming to FHE with the Chamberlin family tonight though! And Stacy told us she's been concerned about Paige's testimony, I think she would come to church soon and become active. Working with them.


We also met Codie, a less-active that was really hard to catch. We talked to her on the doorstep and she's willing to let us walk her dog sometime this week.


The Smith family had us for dinner, our investigator, Sydney, and her mom (less-active) and brother (non-member). That also went well, dinner appointments are the best! Sydney is so close to getting baptized, she's out of town this week but when she gets back us and the young women are working together to help her as she asks for her mom's permission.


We were able to get in contact with the Kennedys, Veits, and Galbraiths, all part-member families who invited us back. The Galbraith's want to show us how to cook a really fancy meal! And sent us home with lemons and tangelos from their trees.

The Keenes are doing alright (non-members). Their dog passed away, and we brought them cookies and a note saying we missed them at FHE. Member are reaching out though so we'll keep posted.


Annika (less-active) let us in and we made a great connection! She even got emotional when we shared a message about Christ as our foundation. She gave us her number and invited us back.


Wendy (active, struggling with a trial) has us over, and I love when people say we made their day or brightened up their week, which is what she told us. She loves missionaries, and had them over all the time, but because of some recent trials we hadn't even met her. But the visit was great and we were all edified.


The Fischingers let us in again. This time they were talking about having us and another family over for dinner like they were last time, but they said, "oh, I think it'll be better to do that sooner than later!" :)


The work is good. Life is good. Love you :)


- Sister Shumway


No comments:

Post a Comment