Tuesday, July 5, 2016

letter from Sister Shumway - July 5, 2016

"For the Lord hath heard thy prayers, and hath judged of thy righteousness, and hath sent me to declare unto thee that thou mayest rejoice; and that thou mayest declare unto thy people, that they may also be filled with joy." 
- Mosiah 3:4 for this week.

Speaking of this week... it's been good! Thanks for the postcards Aubrey and Kynsie!! That was super fun and I'm keeping them. It's also awesome to get updates from Ty and Landon, I bet they are already natural leaders in the way that they are. Not in a way of being controlling or taking that upon themselves, but that many admire and follow them in ways they probably don't realize. I would. You're super cool too, Casan! I didn't forget you :)

It's been kind of a slow week because of my ankle, it's not doing well. I'm starting to get used to walking slightly not-normal. Whenever I try to walk normally my muscles tighten up and it feels like my ankle is going to break. But it's not broken, just fyi. Sometimes it even feels like it's doing better but then I try jogging or anything other than carefully/slowly walking and it's worse. I probably do need to be using ice and ibuprofen more regularly... and I'll work on that. But we don't know what's wrong with it. The hardest part is that I can't exercise, I have to limit my walking, and most everything we do involves just sitting. So my brain is fried every night and I can't release any energy or anything by just moving around, running, playing a game on p-day, but I'm doing everything I can to keep my spirits up. This week we're going to manage rest time better so we can see if we can't help my ankle recover while still getting work done.

On a lighter note, we got to meet our new mission president on Saturday. He and his wife are wonderful. Their trainings and testimonies and then visiting with them after made me absolutely confident and excited for this mission. We get to know them a little better one-on-one in the next couple weeks as he interviews each of us. I'll probably have a little more to say then.

Yesterday on the fourth of July was fun. We had to be in early for safety so the zone got together for an activity at the stake center. As we were driving home we saw a single firework in the distant explode, and though we were searching the skies the whole way that was the only one we saw. But it was more than we thought we'd see! And it's more than I saw last year! So that was a funny surprise.

To answer your question Dad - as a Sister Training leader, there are trainings we give on a zone level and in some meetings with sisters (those are less frequent, usually once a transfer which is cool). Sometimes we're called on for other things as they come up, I can't really think of anything that happens often but I have been asked to share/prepare things in ward councils, mission-prep, mutual activities, and firesides. And we go on exchanges with each sister in the zone every transfer, which makes about 3-4 exchanges or so (6-8ish sisters between the 2 of us STLs). I think that's a really cool experience on a more individual level too, and I always get more out of it than they do. :)

So since I don't have much of an update on the work this week and since you asked last week Mom, let me tell you just a little about Sister Wimmer. She is an extraordinary Sister :) She's also the oldest of 6 kids, but only by a minute - her twin graduates from BYU in December. Then she has a sister, and a brother, and another set of twins as the youngest, a boy and a girl. She's from just outside of Kansas City, Missouri, but lives in Kansas. She and I connect easily through music and we have similar taste and style that way so it was not hard to become friends. Her favorite part of the mission is contacting/tracting, which helps because that is not my favorite part... She LOVES diet coke and trolli crawlers candy probably at least as much as I love popcorn. (That bowl you sent in october btw is well loved) Also, she's super fun to talk to, which helps a lot and makes me feel so good all the time. No matter what we're talking about. I'll send you a pic when I take one... I'm not very good at doing that. Working on it.

I love you, I'm so grateful for your prayers and love and how thoughtful you are of me, I can feel it in your emails every week. Talk to you later!

- Sister Shumway


No comments:

Post a Comment