Tuesday, August 2, 2016

letter from Alyssa - August 1, 2016

This week was great, we started off the transfer strong with Sister Training Leader Council, the first one with President Clark and his wife. That was a really good meeting. I'm sure there will be lots of great changes to make this mission stronger and more effective, especially with zone conference coming up. He talked about the difference between ministering and administering, and how when we have administrative stuff in line it helps our ministry as The Lord's servants. I'm so excited to see what is in store for this mission.

There's not a whole lot to report on the work -

We got to teach Carrie, and it was a really good lesson, we taught the entire restoration and the only thing that could've gone better is if we had a member with us. She committed to read the Book of Mormon, come to church, and have us again for another discussion. Sunday morning we got a long text from her saying she wasn't going to make it to church and that she's not looking to switch religions, but that she appreciated us and thinks very highly of us. She's very sweet, but really struggling with keeping commitments. She agreed to meet with us again this week, so there's still hope but we'll see what happens.

We met Sylar tracting the other day, she accepted a copy of the Book of Mormon and invited us to come back when she wasn't home alone. She's 17 and we gave her a doorstep mini-restoration lesson. And we have plans to follow up this week.

Something that the Elders want to do with us in get way involved with the youth in this ward. I think it's an awesome idea, and I told them about the pow wow activities the missionaries did with us a few years ago. We're going to try it (or something similar) and see how it goes - any ideas? Let me know! :)

This week I was studying in the Book of Mormon and looking for passages that we could share with people as we contact. I was thinking on this one scripture, 2 Nephi 25:23 "For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." (I have several more on the list to draw from, but I was also looking through these scriptures for myself too so this is what I got out of it). Later, my companion shared with me this scripture - Alma 24:11 "And now behold, my brethren, since it has been all that we could do (as we were the most lost of all mankind) to repent of all our sins and the many murders which we have committed, and to get God to take them away from our hearts, for it was all we could do to repent sufficiently before God that he would take away our stain" I love when the Spirit points out scriptural connections. And it is true, it is all I can do to repent and be reconciled to God, because His grace does have the power to save.
I wanted to share that with you this week.
Love you!



- Sister Shumway

No comments:

Post a Comment